You will have been no doubt following the escalation of tensions and Israeli aggression over the past few weeks. The Palestine Alliance are aiming for an all-Scotland national demo in the central belt on Sat 24th Oct.
In addition to that, SPSC are aiming to get folk out on the streets this weekend in Aberdeen and have called a demonstration in St Nicholas Square at 12:30 on Saturday the 17th (tomorrow!)
Hope to see you there.
Some upcoming events of interest in Aberdeen & nearby…
- Weds 14 Oct: RIC Aberdeen & Aberdeen Political Economy Group event on the Economics of Austerity. POSTPONED – watch this space for details on when it’s rescheduled.
- Fri 16 Oct, 6:30-8:00pm: From Linwood to Lewis: Why Land in Scotland Matters. With Lesley Riddoch, Robin McAlpine and Andy Wightman. St Mark’s Church, Rosemount Viaduct, AB25 1JY.
- Sat & Sun, 17-18 Oct: International Brigades Memorial Trust AGM, plaque unveilings and parade. Details here.
- Sun 18 Oct, 2:00-5:00pm: Aberdeen & District CND Peace and Justice Concert for One World Week. The Blue Lamp, 121 Gallowgate, AB25 1BU.
- Fri 23 Oct, 6:30pm doors: We Are Many film screening, followed by Q&A with speakers from Scottish CND, ATUC, SPSC and others. Kemnay Village Hall, 8 Aquithie Rd, AB51 5SS.
- Sun 1 Nov, 3:00pm: (Dundee) Global Justice Now national tour, Stop the Transatlantic Trade Deals. Lecture Theatre 1, Dalhousie Building, Dundee University DD1 5EN.
- Sat 7 Nov: National Day of Action against austerity. Details TBC.
- Sat 14 Nov: Aberdeen campaigns social event. Details TBC.
Many thanks to everyone who came out to chat about sustainable energy on a Friday night, especially our speakers Alan Owen and Maggie Chapman! Really interesting discussion around reducing energy consumption, individual responsibility and systemic change. Audio of the two speakers’ presentations after the jump.
(Shiny graphics coming soon!)
Friday 4 September, 7:30pm
The Snug at Ma Cameron’s, Little Belmont Street.
Sustainable Energy & Alternatives to Oil
Concurrent with Offshore Europe
Friday 11 September, 7:00-9:00pm
Meeting room at the Music Hall, Union Street
With Maggie Chapman, co-convenor of the Scottish Greens, and Alan Owen, engineer and director of RGU’s Centre for Understanding Sustainable Practice.
Aberdeen Against Austerity Demo
Details and speakers TBC.
Sunday 13 September, the Castlegate.
Last year, 1300 people turned up at pro-Yes rally the Sunday before the referendum. This year we’re hosting an anti-austerity rally, after another year of vicious Tory cuts.
Four people and a dog from went from Aberdeen to Glasgow’s anti-austerity demo by electric car (hired from Common Wheels). With two quick charging stops on the way down, and just one on the way back, it was no more hassle than going by petrol car! Other RIC Aberdeen folk went on a bus organised by the ATUC. It was a brilliant day out, with thousands of people from dozens of groups (and none) saying NO to Tory austerity.